Tuesday, October 6, 2009

the equipment

The Sony DSC-H7 with 15x Optical Zoom

Before we embarked on our Biggest Field Trip Ever in the spring of '08, Padawan and I both invested in new cameras.  I had previously enjoyed Fuji point and shoot cameras, having splurged on a low-end model as my first digital camera, and then a couple years later purchasing the newer of the same model.  However when it came time to buy a more advanced camera, I spend some time researching and decided to go with Sony, mostly for the Carl Zeiss lens.  I have not been disappointed with my camera in the least.  It has enough zoom to satisfy my desire to get closer than the eye can see, while giving me options that less expensive cameras just don't offer (different manual settings such as Aperture, Shutter Speed and Manual Exposure).  That is not to say that I have mastered these more advanced options, but it is interesting to play with them and see what different effects I can produce.

Samsung L100

For circumstances where I can't carry my larger camera, I bought this little point-and-shoot.  It's alright, but really no great shakes, to be honest.  I really have to coerce it to get the shots I want, and it works best in bright sunlight.  Low light and zoom capabilities are greatly diminished, in my opinion.  Of course, I am a little spoiled with my Sony.  *smile*  The biggest thing I struggle with when shooting with this camera is the zoom toggle; my Sony is a horizontal toggle and this one has a vertical one - ugh!  Don't think I'm not thankful to have it, though - it's better than just missing photo opportunities altogether.

And, just for old times sake, here's a pic of my old 35mm Minolta.  Gosh, when I opened the case, I found two rolls of unused film in there!  And, I had forgotten just how heavy this was to lug around; I did it happily I can assure you.  Rob, my dear husband, had purchased this for me when he suspected I had a little talent.  What he didn't realize was that he was putting himself right smack in the viewfinder, as he became my main model until we had Morgan, my daughter.  (He was a good sport about it most of the time.)  I'll be posting some pics I got with this sweetie from time to time.  Unfortunately, I'll have to scan those in, so the quality just won't be the same. 

my old Minolta X-700 35mm

My daughter really enjoys her rather new camera, and she gets some really good shots with it.  It's the Fujifilm Fine Pix Z.  She has the lime green one - cool, eh? 

2 comments:

Ari C'rona said...

Cool seeing your Minolta! Lookin' forward to seeing what you scan in! How do you make a photo of a camera look so good? lol! :o)

Mole said...

"Not everybody trusts paintings but people believe photographs."
~ Ansel Adams

You've probably already seen that, but I thought I would share it anyway.

© 2007-2022 Hendel D'bu. All rights reserved.
Blog images are copyrighted; quotes are public domain and may be copied without permission.
Permission to duplicate images may be requested.